When anxiety hits it can feel overwhelming and we might feel like we have no control over what is happening to us. Grounding techniques are a way of helping us focus on the present moment and bring ourselves back to a calm place.
The 5-4-3-2-1 technique is one of the simplest grounding tools to have in your toolbox and is hopefully easy to remember - just say out loud
* 5 things that you can see
* 4 things that you can touch
* 3 things that you can hear
* 2 things that you can smell
* then take 1 long, deep breath to let go of the tension in your
Repeat as many times as you need to return you to a sense of calmness.
Let me know in the comments below how you get on!
You can read here about an alternative technique to try.